Silver-ion fiber is a high-performance functional fiber, silver ion is sputtered on the fiber.
Silver ion has good antibacterial effect and is permanent.
However, depending on the silver fiber production method, sometimes, the antibacterial effect will gradually decrease due to repeated washings.
The material of silver-ion fiber is natural and non-toxic. It is not chemically synthesized, will not cause skin irritation.
Silver ions can accompany cell binding and inhibit bacteria and microbial protein formation, and further destroy the cell DNA and make the cell unable to multiply, to achieve the “sterilization” effect.
So that the silver-ion fabric has a permanent antibacterial function. Silver fiber clothing is like armor, protecting the body from bacterial infections.
At the same time, it has antistatic and thermal insulation functions to improve wearing comfort.
1. What is Silver ion?
Silver atoms lose more than one electron and become silver ions that are only positively charged. This is “physical action” and not a chemical reaction.
Silver ion is an inorganic natural mineral element that does not have any side effects on the human body and also exists permanently.
- Why Silver ions are antibacterial?
The positively charged silver ions will combine with the negative charge of bacteria and microorganisms cells. This can inhibit cell growth and reproduction and achieve the so-called “sterilization” effect. It is used in daily antibacterial disinfection products.
– Positively-charged silver ions will adsorb each other when they come in contact with negatively charged microbial cells.
– Silver ions will pierce the appearance of cells, and further damage cell DNA and inhibit protein formation, making cells unable to metabolize and reproduce. To achieve the “sterilization” effect.
– When the cell loses its activity, the silver ions will leave, looking for the next cell to continue to destroy, so it has a strong continuous antibacterial effect. It has no toxicity or other side effects.3. How to make Silver Fiber?
There are two ways to implant silver ions into fiber in the market:
– Silver ion soaked fiber – Low cost, fast production. the antibacterial effect will gradually decrease due to repeated washings.
– Incorporating silver ion into textile fiber – High cost, long manufacturing time. It can still have permanent antibacterial function after repeated washings.4. Pros and cons of silver ion fiber products
The antibacterial effect of silver ions is a physical principle that is permanent. The reason that the antibacterial effect will diminish is only the difference in the manufacturing process of silver ion fabrics.
– Fabrics are made by “soaking”. Silver ions only adhere to the surface of the fabric. Of course, they will decrease with the number of washings, and the efficacy will gradually slow down.
– If the silver ions are directly plated in the fiber, they become silver ion fibers, which are interwoven with ordinary yarn counts to form a cloth. This effect is permanent.